Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A bit of good news, a bucket of bad

I was planning on having the car back on its wheels a few weeks ago. It didn't go as planned.
The petrol tank connector is leaking so I have to work on that. The rear breaks leaked. I have to fix that. The carburettor needed new gaskets and rings. There is air/fuel shooting out from the left side of the engine when the engine turns over.

What is the good news? I can't remember.

I order head gaskets and valve cover gaskets.  €311 excluding VAT just for those!!!!!! F@$&!!
I bought a new set of spark plug ends since some are broken. I didn't realize they cost €11 each. I will return the ones I don't need.

I thought the leaky rear brake cylinders may be caused by old nuts, so I ordered new ones plus a few spares. At €11 each I will be returning those I don't need.

I bought a new set of gaskets for the carburettor plus a new valve with needle. At €45 for the valve with needle, I will see if I can get mine to work well.

Total bill came to €749 when I was expecting something close to €250.

The head gaskets are worth it because I want to take the heads off and grind the valves. The compression was all over the place so I know this will make a huge difference. 32 valves... that will take me a while to grind them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment